Vehicle Damage—Is It Covered By Homeowners Insurance?

When you pay monthly premiums for insurance, you need to be sure that you understand exactly what that insurance will cover. Do you own a home and a vehicle? Do you have homeowners insurance and auto insurance? If you were to drop the insurance on a vehicle that you don't drive anymore, will the vehicle be covered under your homeowners insurance policy? Will homeowners insurance cover vehicle damage in any instances? Here, you'll find the answers to those questions.

Will homeowners insurance cover vehicle damage?

There are a few ways that a vehicle could become damaged while it's parked and not driven.

Fire – If the car is parked in your garage and the garage burns to the ground, will the damage be covered under the homeowners insurance policy? The answer is probably not. In most cases, homeowners insurance would not cover the cost to repair or replace the vehicle. In this instance, you would have to have had auto insurance to recoup the loss.

Falling Tree or Natural Disaster – If the car is parked on your property and a big tree falls on it, crushing it, will homeowners insurance cover the cost of repairs or replacement? Oftentimes, no—homeowners insurance would not cover the costs; however, if the homeowners insurance policy has a rider attached to it that covers uninsured vehicles, your claim may be covered.

Now, if you have an uninsured vehicle parked on your property and the vehicle is damaged by a tree falling from a neighboring property, the neighbor's insurance may cover the costs to repair or replace it.

Homeowners insurance limits the kind of claims paid out for vehicle damage, but know that if you have a guest parked in your driveway and your kid smashes into the side of the car with his or her bike, your homeowners insurance will likely cover the cost of making the repairs.

How do you protect an unlicensed car on your property?

Honestly, the best thing for you to do if you're worried about recouping your losses if the vehicle is damaged is to maintain an auto insurance policy on the vehicle. You won't need to spend all of the money that goes into paying premiums for collision coverage—all you'll need is a comprehensive damage policy. This will cover natural disasters, vandalism, theft, or fire, and it won't cost you very much each year.

Talk with your local insurance provider or check out websites like to learn more about what your homeowners insurance policy will cover and what it won't.